Pages

Thursday 8 October 2015

Just when I thought it was going so well!!

Yesterday I got up extra early, got the laundry done and cleaned the kitchen.  I hoovered everywhere , dusted and it all looked lovely.  I looked at my beloved dresser and it looked tired, dusty and too many Spring and Summer bits on display.  I took a deep breath and emptied all the shelves , gave it a polish , washed and polished everything going back on it.



Then I got my ornaments out for Autumn and Winter.  When I can I collect these.  I know they might not be to everyone's taste but I love them and this time oh year they just seem.....just so right.



The dresser  really needs a rub down and rewax
another "little" job for DH.


The top two shelves are always for my favourite bits.  The biggest bottom shelf  is where I do my season display.....and add a bit for Christmas etc .



This afternoon I decided to go into the annex and get some die cutting done, I was on a roll.  I had all the felt ready with the dies I wanted to cut in ready to cut piles.  The sun was shining through the annex window.
Ten minutes later I was operating the handle of my die cutting machine and it came off in my hand.

I could of cried.  I must of had this machine over 10, maybe longer years.  The handle had completely sheared off.  Unfortunately it cannot be repaired.

I have used this machine so much, I adore it.  Along with my sewing machine they are vital to my crafting and it is broken beyond repair!!!! I sat in the craft room debating .  Knowing without my little machine all my Christmas craft sewing was going to be impossible.  It takes all the hard work
out of cutting for me....

I don't think I am impulsive .I use it for patchwork making, felties all year round, cards, tags , so I went back into the house and ordered a replacement.  When I buy a big item I always have to justify
to myself that I really need it and it will be used and is a investment....a die cutter is all those things to
me.   My new one is due to be delivered today.  The rest of the day I sat sticking more felties together.
I have made a couple more new ones that I love .  I did some sewing to finish other bits off and trimmed some patchwork squares.



These became these







I hope to put a small quilt together..
At least doing these little squares cheered me up.



Today I must get my paper and string swap sorted...it just needs that little tidy up bit.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments...I so love hearing from you and when the Internet lets
me play I do try to reply .  I made some phones calls today too and living here is apparently the
reason why I am having problems.  They are apparently laying new optic cables nearby and we have
a slow streaming (broadband speed) so maybe things may get better in time with the new optic
cables??

See you soon.....xx

18 comments:

  1. I love your Fauna collection, I have a small collection, I think they're so sweet. what die cutting machine do you use? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Fauna (as you can tell" one day I hope to get a nice display cabinet for them. The old one are both Sizzix hot shot machines. They are manual .xxx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful collection. How disappointing to have the die-cut break...but won't it be nice to have a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been pondering over a die cutter but am not certain that I would use it enough. I will have to pick your brains when ypou have your new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the old and new one are Sizzix. For patchwork and appliqué they are great and quick and you can cut up to 4 or 5 layers at a time. They do special dies for the patchwork shapes including Dresden plates. It saves me hours when cutting out and of course everything is uniformed . Not cheap I know but if you use it often a investment.xx

      Delete
  4. Your shelf displays look very pretty! As you know I am a fan of changing these things around. I hope that your new machine arrives soon and lasts for at least another 10 years! It sounds as though you use it a lot so I am sure that it will be an investment for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It arrived today and I have had a little play. I like dressing our home too....don,t like the dusting it all though.xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Dotty

    I have a couple of pieces of fauna. My mum had some pieces and I bought a couple of pieces myself. I grew up with it. My friend has a Sizzix that she uses for card making. I must say I have been thinking about one - particularly for the patchwork side of things as well as the paper crafts. I think I am going to have to invest before too long. Hope you are keeping well.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the deers , bunnies and squirrels...well I can't speak highly enough of the die cutters. They now do a mega size but to be honest I bought the same size I had and I use my quilting dies all the time and this size machine copes really well cutting up to 5 layers of fabric in one go!!! Love it.xx

      Delete
  6. Love your Fauna. I always remember my mum buying these for my gran.
    I'm running a bit late with my swap too but I will get it mailed by the weekend. Just a couple more to do then it's of to the post office with them. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and me too re the sewing!!! This week has flown by. Xxx

      Delete
  7. love your dresser - it would be hard finding ornaments in NZ! I wish we had more distinct seasons in our part of NZ. Love your sewing - will be a fab quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey... The quilt is gettin there, just random colourful squares..might get some more done this weekend, though all the strips have nearly been used so may have to cut some more. Xxx

      Delete
  8. it is SO frustrating when a much loved tool breaks .. hope the new one lasts as long and gives you as much fun x I always like to pack away one seasons "bits" and have the fun of re-discovering the "bits and pieces" that have been maturing in the cupboard x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, the new one will get a proper workout today, if I can get some time ..such a busy week .xxx

      Delete
  9. What a lovely display on your shelves, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete