Pages

Sunday 19 June 2016

So far so good....

it was a soggy old week and I despairing I would get the border done but yesterday the forecast was warm and cloudy so I put on my old gardening stuff and got started

My faithful shadow supervised me


This bed was much harder than the last one ...so stoney and lots of old China and some glass.  I remember my mum telling me years ago old broken China etc  used to be buried in gardens as in
those days rubbish collection was not what it is today and there weren't rubbish tips like today.
















I spent hours pottering, pondering  and deciding.  This border has geraniums of all kinds, different fushcia, shrubs, penstrom, iris, bleeding heart, carnations and plants where the labels are long gone. "Colin" my little Cornish gnome is in residence and a,bird table that I drilled holes in and will pin down and add some bedding to.


I am so pleased...DH well he congratulated me with a glass of wine and a "well done sweetheart , you were right, the borders look really good" praise indeed bless him.  We sat  in the late sunshine, I looked a picture for sure in my muddy clothes, wind swept hair, filthy nails but looking over the
garden I was happy but too tired to even take a picture or put away the now empty pots.  The pictures I took this morning were after a night of rain and no slug or snail damage anywhere so Fred must be
in residence too.

The kitchen garden has enjoyed this rainy week and everything is doing well, but I am so far not impressed with the runner beans variety I chose.  They don't seem to be bushing out and are slow to climb..time will tell I suppose.





Inside my cucumber plants in the front porch are doing really well, I have two plants and have 12
cucumbers ... Now I am starting to feed them.  The chilli pepper are doing well on the kitchen window sill but need potting on..a job during the week.  The cougettes need planting out to and another batch of cabbage and chard too.    Onions are in and I am growing some garlic ... The bees are plentiful, not seen any butterflies or ladybirds yet.

I have been putting some log cabin blocks together using my favourite Lakehouse fabric and a few others.  This will be a large lap quilt which my sweet girl is "eyeing" up.  I am not sure if I will hand quilt, machine it or tie it...... This is it so far




30 comments:

  1. Both your garden and your quilt are looking fabulous. Archie likes to supervise when we're in the garden too, he's also been known to do a little dead heading and tomato harvesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, old Dexter likes to have a nose on what's occurring bless him

      Delete
  2. Wow Maria you have been busy. The garden looks lovely. My Nan always used to keep the broken china and use it for drainage in the bottom of pots. I think it was a common practice and that might be another reason you are finding so much. The quilt looks fabulous too - no wonder your daughter is eying it up. Bless her she obviously has an eye for colour just like her mum. Al my exotic seeds have come up the Pattypan squash and the Artichokes but no cucumber and no pepper. I am going to have to re-sow I think or grab a couple of plants so that I at least get something. Progress is slow here at the moment but will get there I don't give in easily. How is your daughter getting on with her sewing? Take care. Pattypanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia, quilt now to be finished..Little Miss not sewing much ,all the fault of my mother in law on her last visit !!!! will probably explain on a post! Hope the replanting goes well.

      Delete
  3. There is nothing better than sat having a drink looking over your newly finished garden, Your clothes and nails show the hard work, but you know you created it and your hard work will bring a smile on your face every time you look at it, and it will last all summer. I have two cats who watch and check my work out. Love you patchwork, the colours and designs are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, garden is starting to look nice ...the quilt is now assembled just to finish

      Delete
  4. You have certainly been busy, the garden is looking amazing worth all the hard work when you are eating the bounty. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which is better to look at, the garden or the log cabins. Lots of hard work, and it all looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garden looks great! It will really pay off.
    I can see why your sweet girl is eyeing up your log cabin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden and growings are all looking fabulous and well done on your hard work with the borders - a deserved tipple definitely.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all this rain everything growing crazy.... Loads more to do if only it would stop raining!!!

      Delete
  8. Boris is our supervisor, he loves to be involved with whatever we are doing. Maggie checks us out but then wanders off to do her own thing. Your garden is going to be amazing, such hard work. Great job! My mum in law used to hand quilt, tiny little running stitches, it looks lovely and not so bad to do on a smaller quilt. Whatever you decide to do it will look great I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen, having lots of fun and keeping busy

      Delete
  9. whats a bit of mud but a sign of contentment and hard work, you will reap the rewards this summer for the work you have put in now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there Dawn...everything growing fast but rained everyday here apart from Tuesday..never mind saves watering the garden.

      Delete
  10. The border is looking really good as is your quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. the garden looks wonderful and reflects the efforts you have made x .. glad you had a companion xx lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best companion he just looks and doesn't say a word!!!!

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness. Your gardens look absolutely beautiful...as does your quilt. You've been busy! Bet you're tired πŸ˜ƒ
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happy tired yes but both have made me happy

      Delete
  13. Your garden really is looking great! It is a lot of hard work, but the results will definitely be worth it! Enjoy your quilting time, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilt now basted just need to finish it....been a busy week.

      Delete
  14. Your borders look great, a lot of work but well worth it. pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borders have turned out like I hoped and everything seems to have survived so far! Quilt to be finished now.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful patchwork, love how colourful it is. Your garden is doing well, we have no sign of cucumbers yet xx

    ReplyDelete

  16. Perfect inspiration :) and what attention to detail! I admire and congratulate.

    ΰΈ«ΰΈ™ัΰΈ‡ΰΈ­ΰΈ­ΰΈ™ΰΉ„ΰΈ₯ΰΈ™์

    ReplyDelete