Pages

Sunday 15 May 2016

oh dear I shall just have to sit, sew, read and sew some more.!

A glorious sunny week here in West Wales.  Another new calf, but now the little herd of mothers and offspring have been harder than ever to get any decent picture of.  They seem to be keeping the calfs just the side of the gate nearest the farm and barn and not venturing anywhere near our side of the field...I will keep trying  though, I am so looking forward to seeing the sex of the four new arrivals and wondering what my offspring will name them!

A bit of sciatica this week has spoiled some fun.  I wanted to wash the pots down, get the garden ornaments washed too, but never mind that will have to wait for now.  The horse pill size painkillers and anti inflammatory tables took 4 days to "kick in" .  Yesterday I managed a short drive to a friend for coffee but was pleased to get home again and a lay down after a hour or so.  For me I have to get the balance right, a bit of standing, sitting upright, laying down and exercises .  This morning I was up early at 5 and felt the best in days so fingers crossed.

As normal activities were unachievable I took the opportunity to sew.....every cloud has a silver lining.  Mainly hand sewing the hexies but a little bit of sitting in a proper chair too machining , which probably because my posture is better helps the old back...just not for too long.








This little lot is the result of my planting a week ago.  Not having a potting shed or green house anymore I put them in my front porch which is a hot sunny room.  I was amazed how quick they all took off I certainly wasn't expecting this so quick.  Lots of potting on to do now but space is a premium and I may have to use the annex and my craft table.  It's not a problem as I have a sink in there to water and then hopefully I can get some more veg and flowers started.



Runners, climbing French beans and peas...





Spinach, cabbage and chard
(Already have some kale, Spring cabbage and leeks nearly.  ready to put out) 




peas





Toms and courgettes in the background.


I have always grown Scarlett Emperor runner beans before , but this year I am growing 2 different varieties.  The main reason being I couldn't get hold of the usual in the couple of garden centres I visited.   So this year I am trying Benchmaster and Lady Di.  I must admit they both germinated in about 4 days and are growing well so we shall see.  The cabbage and chard is coming up but so far the spinach hasn't appeared.  I need to do some more salad leaves and get the micro greens going on the kitchen window seal.  The window seal is bright and the rooms is always warm with the Rayburn always being on .



A few weeks ago , probably a month ago really , I picked up a little "treasure" or two on one of my little outings.









This little chap is holding a cute puppy



and whilst looking at some,old linen near 
the entrance to the sorting room In one charity shop i noticed
this. I enquired if it was for sale  and was told it was in the bin to 
be chucked out!  Well of course it came home,
had a clean, it is a little sewing box now 
for Little Miss.  


Oh and the book I mentioned...nearly forgot!

Well first I patiently waited, and waited , and waited ...then my turn came at the library to borrow this little beauty, after requesting to reserve it, I waited months before it was my turn but obviously "word" had got about it was worth a look and it was a popular item.   It came out a couple of years ago but a look on Amazon made me "curiouser and curiouser" (forgive me the pun) . I didn't want to order it just in case when it arrived I found it was just a typical craft book duplicating what you can find in many more.  Well the library copy  confirmed what I thought.  Anyway I fell in love with this book and just had to get our (me and sweetheart agreed it was such a lovely book) own copy.


It is a fun read with recipes for tea parties, fun things to make like biscuit cutters, invites, hats, Alice themed crafts, like a Hare's teapot cosy, fabric covered old teapots, and a fabric rabbit with clothes  how to play croquet, even how to make aprons and fascinators.The templates are so beautifully drawn too.....here's a snippet..... I think it will be a permanent fixture on our coffee table all summer.









The recipes for these cordials sound rather yummy.


Anyway hope to get some of the re potting done on this glorious sunny Sunday.  Maybe even a little outside sewing too...now that sounds a plan...see you soon.
















26 comments:

  1. You wicked woman, I have to have that book, Fran loves everything "Alice". Love the china plates I can see them now, warm scones on one and a light as air Victoria sandwich on the other. What time is tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty as charged dear Pam!! Ha ha you will not regret it, we love it and anything Alice too. The plates and little finds, the whole lot for £3!!! I know I couldn't believe it , nice to find a bargain .xx

      Delete
  2. It is on its way, £5.85 with free delivery. Woop Woop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have sewn your hexagon flowers, very clever and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, trying out the stitches on the sewing machine and I thought that stitch looked nice.

      Delete
  4. Planting looks fab. Loving the little sewing box and that book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planted it all out now, time is flying, fingers crossed for the 1st xx

      Delete
  5. Your growing garden looks great. I love the Alice book! Your hexis are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you have found many things you are able to accomplish while that nasty sciatica bothers you. I am so sorry. I hope it is gone now. I am beginning some seeds for veggies as well. I love the chap with the POODLE pup. Yep! You can tell Little Miss I think it is! tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On closer examination you are so right , didn't look so close at first but it is a poodle, obviously meant to come home with me! Sciatica so much better, feel almost human again.xx

      Delete
  7. hope the horse size pills keep doing their job. I take them too, they certainly help a lot. Lovely treasures you found and a great job on the sewing. I just do not seem to be able to organise my time so well. A lot happening these past couple of weeks but still I need to better organise. Good to see your blog. Always an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your seedlings are looking fab and your hexies love what you have done with them, Sorry not an Alice fan every since I found out the story was all about tripping out on LSD, put me right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but I still like it and all things connected with it.

      Delete
  9. I hope you continue to feel better.....and what sweet treasures!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, much better now , almost feel human.xx

      Delete
  10. Hope the pills continue to help and that you are on the mend soon. Love the hexies, they look amazing. You are certainly going to have a great garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, been a bit of a Henie addict recently but they do look cute..garden coming along at last!

      Delete
  11. Hope you are much better soon and able to get out and plant on your little seedlings. Your hexies are very pretty! Enjoy your new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy....busy few weeks but feel in all things like I am "getting there". Know you had a sad week last week, thinking of you.xx

      Delete
  12. you will just have to take your time .. and craft until your back co-operates xx lol x Love the 2 little flower dishes x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got the book and it is delicious, I was in Lampeter yesterday and they have some Alice prints and a panel, with the original illustrations, not the Disney ones. Got some? of course I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, so pleased you like it as much as I do. I just adore Alice and it all, love to see the fabrics on your blog? I need a trip to Lampeter xxx

      Delete
  14. I love your artwork and follow you pots this very minute!
    หนังผี

    ReplyDelete