Pages

Friday 22 January 2016

flea market and charity shop finds


Last time when I showed the patchwork I forgot to show you the link.  Well there are a few as I mentioned on Pinterest under titles like postage stamp size quilts but the best one with super duper photos is this one, which is so easy to follow.


http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/10/elizabeths-fabric-focus-quick-piece-tiny-squares/

I used (previously as I went along) one of my quilt die cutter to get all the squares the same size ....which helped a lot and I try to do this as I go along with fabric scraps . I now using the quilt dies to cut shapes and store them rather than having a baskets of scrap all over.  I throw very little away now too this way and it always means , well that's the plan anyway, I can do random patchwork when I fancy as I have squares and strips ready to go.

Well last weekend  a trip into town as the boys desperately needed haircuts...(finally that is when I told them they both looked like girls with long hair did  they agree to be very reluctantly be dragged from the warm cosy house!!) so did lots of other boys waiting patiently it seemed inside the barbers.. ,so with a "good luck " and a giggle we left them and headed off to have a look around town and knew we could take our time...bliss for girls  who like the occasional potter about in charity shops and the like.  Well we found these .....



and these (nearly washed and ironed) some need a slight repair and some will be cut up and given a new life somewhere.

















these were "free" in a box and nearby a bucket for donations for the Lifeboats if you wanted, which of course I did...... Always a good cause especially living here where they patrol all the big beaches in the summer and give full day talks and safety advice to school children.  Anyway the linen has washed up and look lovely now they are pressed.  I have a lovely collection now and must use it.  I started collecting bits years ago when visiting flea markets in Greenwich after my mum said I could have lots of linen that had been my Nan's.  I know some bits are even my great Nan's as she was apparently a very accomplished needlework lady..sadly I never met her or even have a photo.  My mum always said I must of got my love of crafting from her as my mum and sisters go into a cold sweat at the sight of a sewing needle and thread !!


My new linen dollies and China need to find a  place on the dresser , that will be a big wash, dust and put away and re arrange project, maybe when I have a day with no other jobs to do.  Everything needs to be taken down and I always dread I will smash or chip something as I can be a bit clumsy  or "cack  handed" as my old mum used to say. 
I am not going to do a seasonal display on my dresser anymore , just display China and bits and bobs 
that I love.   I hope during the summer to do a little tea party for Little Miss and her friends and need to start to collect some China .....hence the bits above. The  bits ranged from 25p to £1 , no dearer and
a new stall opened recently which has mismatched China .... so we had a rummage and found something to add to our growing collection.  I say ours because Little Miss has even more
 enthusiasm than me and a keen eye when looking for chips and cracks.


I found this too, for £2 , oh I was a happy bunny, I have wanted one of these for donkeys years but they are always so expensive even in junk shops . I am keeping my sharpie pens in it but it too will end up on display on the dresser.


So all the above made me happy this week , also the fact we all had dental check ups and DH is the
only one requiring a small replacement filling.   A eye appointment at the hospital showed no further deterioration to little man's eyesight... just needed the surgeon to check him out this week and he  agreed  no surgery required at the moment, we can forget about that for another year...made me very happy..hate the thought of surgery on him.  He will need it one day but hopefully many years away.

 Lastly I have done as I planned and eased up a bit this week.  Over Christmas I noticed the house did not fail into chaos if the washing machine and tumble dryer were not constantly burrrrring in the background, floors were not washed on and off during the day as dirty paws usually seem to dictate.  Ironing is my pet hate , well it waited and we didn't disappear under a mountain of it and meals too were prepared and cooking shared including Little Miss who joined in (under supervision) more leisurely...and I liked it!  The Hoover still has a daily airing as a constantly moulting pupster with
black and white fur , well nothing downstairs seems to escape his fur as he moves from room to room and brushes against things...but I don't mind that.  Overall I am liking this more relaxed home...


I have been doing a little sewing for a swap but cannot share at the moment.  I have also started to
make some little labels for some gentlework/crazy quilting that I hope to begin with Little Miss. I have ordered some yo yo makers and charms and hopefully they will arrive soon to show you next time.  I do love vintage and hope to re cycle old damaged linen, lace and buttons into some sort of wall hanging/quilt...



37 comments:

  1. Ohh, some great finds! I also loved your scrappy quilt in the last post xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, and a super link to that little scrappy quilt. A great idea.

    I loved your vintage finds, Was the stripey mug a proper T G Green one? I think it's lovely that you have inherited your sewing skills from your g. gran - mine come from my maternal gran (mum was hopeless at sewing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi honey, sadly no it isn't but looks vintage and all I need now is to put some daffs in it.

      Delete
  3. Love your finds. I am collecting doilies to make a row of bunting with. I really want to get it out and make a start, now I live in a house which it will suit prefectly. Tea or coffee will taste wonderful out of your new mug, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just dollies and it amazes me how they are made. Bunting would be fab.

      Delete
  4. Love your crockery finds! I am always mooching around charity shops and seem to have a big (getting larger!) collection of bone china cups, plates and saucers all of which I promise to use, of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love collecting it because it looks pretty, is cheap and keeps me cheerful... Xx

      Delete
  5. I love a good find! Cannot wait to see what you and Little Miss create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xxxx... We have been busy bunnies , a few things for the next post

      Delete
  6. leaving them at the barbers and going shopping was DEFINATLY the right move xxx Isnt it amazing that the house stays standing and warm and cosy hen you don't rush about cleaning.... and you enjoy it just as much .. I always did believe dust was good insulation xx lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, they both hate shopping!!! dust well this is a old house and I have too many "bits" , but a bit of dust here and there at least shows out home is very lived in xx

      Delete
  7. Well done on the find, I would have been skipping all the way home and it would have pride of place. No wonder you were happy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a little skip in my step for sure..ha ha..can't wait for our next trip.xx

      Delete
  8. Some great finds. Treasures, I call them when I find something I really like at a really good price. I also call Maggie's twigs she finds and bring in treasures. No comparison but in reality, to her, they are as precious as my finds, hence still treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" just the truth... Xx

      Delete
  9. Hello Maria,

    Oh how lucky to find all those linens in good condition, I especially love the round one with the crochet edge in the second photo.Dust is just a sign that you are enjoying life! Have fun with your family is far more important than loading the washing machine.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  10. people who live in dust free photo shoot homes have too much times on there hands and usually very boring people, a home should have a lived in feel about it, great finds well done, we are popping to the coast this week end at some point the Life boat charity is a great one and they provide a much needed service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dawn. I am house proud but I'm learning that an old house like our just manages to create dust on its own through the slate floor in the kitchen. Also, if I have to bash the sofa to get the dust from the fire off it now and again so be it!

      Delete
    2. Our home is very lived in believe me!!'m our house is nearly a hundred years old so seems to attract dust,minutes who cares?

      Delete
  11. love the op shop finds. I'm trying to stay out of them (apart from dropping stuff off), so i don't collect more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds. There's some beautiful china about, I often wonder why such lovely pieces end up in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, a few of the finds has been from a warehouse that does house clearances....I just think I am giving it a new home where it will be enjoyed again

      Delete
  13. What lovely treasures you found! Glad that all of your health checks went well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..hate the dentist so I was a happy bunny xx

      Delete
  14. Love the China finds. I have some very similar it's so pretty. I tried the more relaxed approach but this old dog isn't so good at new tricks. Which is a pity. ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for me too at times, but we haven't disappeared under mountains of stuff and of course more time to potter and sew is a bonus.xx

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you Jo..I have been lucky in finding them...xx

      Delete
  16. Oh what wonderful things you have found. gorgeous linens and that lovely mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheryl..I just adore vintage things...too much I think..but it doesn't cost much and I am not a clothes or shoe shopper so a cheap treat for me and our daughter.xx

      Delete
  17. Hi Maria! Thank you so much for following my blog. I followed you back:) I clicked over and looked at the postage square quilt, so cute! One day I will quilt.. when I have more time. Love you new mug too. Have a great day!
    xoxo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry, I love your blog too, such a great "find" xx

      Delete
  18. Hello Maria, thank you for visiting my blog. I am now following yours. Looks like you had a very successful day of charity shopping. Love the lace and the tea cups and saucer . . . pretty little violets.
    Have a lovely day and I'm delighted to meet you.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too Connie', really enjoying reading back posts.xx

      Delete
  19. Hello there my dear. I just read your blog today and had a great time reading your latest article. Is your charity shop supports a children's charity? Thank you and have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The charity shop was a Red Cross one, so obviously they support all ages. We also have a Dr Barnardos that is a children's charity here and a local hospice charity too..no Save the children shops here yet but there were lots in Kent and London. Glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete